Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Starbuck's, Italian-style

I have to admit that I get my afternoon coffee at my neighborhood Starbuck's. Yes, I'd rather go to a more Italian style family owned cafe. But we have to use what we have.

This Starbuck's feels more personal than many. The young men and women who work there greet everybody who comes in. By now they recognize me as "a regular," one among several of us who arrive at this time of day. Nods of greeting among customers who are otherwise strangers seems a step in community building. We have in common only having gravitated toward this shop because of its culture of quieter music and outdoor ambiance.

So most afternoons I go there to read, write or just look around. It's the closest I've found to an Italian experience closeby.

Still there are differences.

Italians don't walk the streets with coffee cups in hand. In Italy the alternative to take out is to drink one's espresso or cappuccino standing at the counter. But another option, although costing a bit more, is to sit at a small table and a waiter will bring your coffee. Either way you have a ceramic cup and saucer and a little spoon, nothing cardboard or plastic. We don't see mountains of trash in the bins since cups and saucers are washed as they are used.

My Bringing Italy Home approach is to request the for here option at Starbuck's. The staff member seems happy about my more environmental choice, pulls out a ceramic cup for me and even warms it with hot water before making my caffe.

I also avoid ordering anything to go even though that's the default order in America. As another customer said to me one day, "If I can't sit down for a few minutes and enjoy it, I don't come." He would be very comfortable in an Italian cafe.

1 comment: